Friday 4 February 2011

Second Skin and Advanced Foundation - The Perfect Match

Amongst my goodies from Beauty Alchemy, FM Cosmetics Ltd, I was given two make-up samples to review. The first, "Second Skin Foundation" in Natural Cream (FMfl05) and the second, "Advanced Foundation" in Ivory (FMfl01).

My skin type is combined, oily and dry patches so I often find it hard to find the perfect foundation for a smooth, all over coverage. Now I'm not great at make-up application, I tend to just slap it on and go. Quick and easy are important factors for me when buying make-up, I don't have much time in the mornings to get ready so I need something that is reliable, easy to apply and lasts throughout (most) of the day.


Before applying the Second Skin Foundation I cleansed my face and moisturised with Nivea Face and Body Moisturiser (loving that at the moment). My skin is fairly pale with red tones and blemishes unfortunately. This foundation was maybe a little too dark for my skin, however, it was lovely to apply, created a smooth coverage and felt like it was moisturising all over again. I definitely didn't need to apply the Nivea before hand, this foundation does all the moisturising on its own. If you apply too much moisturiser before using this, your face looks a little greasy - which I dabbed down with a sponge.

Having said that, it did cover my red patches and there's not a dry patch in sight. If I was to apply a lighter shade, it would have an even colour and most importantly, would look natural.

As you can see, the foundation is £12.99 for a generous sized bottle. As a student, the foundation I buy is usually within the £8-12 bracket, so this is just outside budget but I wouldn't rule this one out.


Overall Verdict: 6/10

Probably not best for my skin type - my skin is too awkward, I wish all types would work on me... how easy would that be?

Good price for the size and worth a try if you have skin that needs a good moisture surge!

Now onto the second sample, Advanced Foundation that promises advanced covering and silky smoothness. I tried the lightest shade, Ivory FMfl01. I hoped this one would be slightly better for my skin than Second Skin as the catalogue told me it is perfect for combination complexions.

...and yes, it was much better for me than Second Skin. The shade was more suited to my skin tone for starters. It moisturised, but didn't make me look like I'd been working out for an hour. Combined with a good concealer and pressed powder, this foundation makes your face appear smooth and disguises all those imperfections.

Overall verdict: 7/10

Good coverage and leaves skin feeling silky smooth - as the catalogue said.

Give it a try if you're still seeking the perfect coverage from a foundation and you never know, this might be the one.

2 comments:

  1. One way to apply foundation is by using a sponge if you want to foundation to look sheer. Just a tip here for those who don't know about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you're right , when it comes the thing we need to put in our skin, we should clean it first before applying those cosmetics.

    ReplyDelete